ST Publishing Inc.'s Joe and Sean Clancy were honored during the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders' annual awards luncheon with the Charles W. Engelhard Award Thursday at Keeneland Race Course.
The Engelhard Award acknowledges members of the media for outstanding coverage of the Thoroughbred industry.
The Clancys joined a unique and distinguished list of past winners of the Engelhard Award, including Red Smith, Joe Hirsch, Kent Hollingsworth, Jim McKay, Jack Whitaker, NBC Sports, TVG, Cawood Ledford, Seabiscuit and Anheuser-Busch.
Joe and Sean founded ST Publishing as a part-time business in 1984 with the launch of Steeplechase Times. The Saratoga Special, Thoroughbred Racing Calendar and other projects, including the website This Is Horse Racing, followed. Based in Fair Hill, Md., the company focuses on quality editorial projects with a small-business approach.
The brothers are horsemen first, Joe a former assistant to their father and Sean a former champion steeplechase jockey who runs the Riverdee Stable racing partnership that races over flat and jumps. Both graduates of the University of Delaware, Joe and Sean serve as co-publishers and co-editors of all the company's publications.
The Engelhard Award is the latest honor for the brothers, who collectively have won the Eclipse Award (once each), David F. Woods Award for best Preakness article (five times), Bill Leggett Breeders' Cup Writing Award, Benjamin Franklin Book Award from the Independent Book Publishers Association and American Horse Publications General Excellence Award (numerous times).
The KTOB handed out several other awards during the event, including Broodmare of the Year honors to American Pharoah's dam Littleprincessemma and Kentucky-bred Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old male American Pharoah.
All the award winners are listed below:
- Broodmare of the Year: LITTLEPRINCESSEMMA (Zayat Stables)
- Horse of the Year; Three Year Old Male: AMERICAN PHAROAH (Zayat Stables)
- Two-Year-Old Male: NYQUIST (Summerhill Farm)
- Two-Year-Old Filly: SONGBIRD (John Antonelli)
- Three-Year-Old Filly: I'M A CHATTERBOX (Fletcher Gray & Carolyn Gray)
- Older Dirt Male: HONOR CODE (Dell Ridge Farm, LLC)
- Older Dirt Female: BEHOLDER (Clarkland Farm)
- Turf Male: BIG BLUE KITTEN (Kenneth L. Ramsey & Sarah K. Ramsey)
- Turf Female: TEPIN (Machmer Hall)
- Sprinter: RUNHAPPY (Wayne Lyster, Gray Lyster & Bryan Lyster)
- Steeplechase Horse: DEMONSTRATIVE (Gainsborough Farm LLC)
- Racing Abroad: AIR FORCE BLUE (Stone Farm)
- P.A.B. Widener Trophy for KTOB Breeder of the Year: DARLEY
- Hardboot Breeders' Award pays tribute to distinctive but unsung breeders that help make up the backbone of our industry: ARTHUR B. HANCOCK III
- Charles W. Engelhard Award acknowledges a member of the media for outstanding coverage of the Thoroughbred industry: SEAN & JOE CLANCY
- William T. Young Humanitarian Award distinguishes a person or organization in the Thoroughbred industry "who recognizes and promotes the human endeavor:" KEENELAND ASSOCIATION INC.
Also receiving awards were the top Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) money earners in 2015 in five separate categories:
- KTDF Sire of the Year: CANDY RIDE (ARG) (Lane's End Farm)
- KTDF Earner of the Year: SHES A TRUE BEAUTY (SumFun Stable)
- KTDF Owner of the Year: KENNETH L. & SARAH K. RAMSEY
- KTDF Trainer of the Year: MICHAEL MAKER
- KTDF Breeder of the Year: WINSTAR FARM LLC