Undefeated champion Nyquist drew post No. 13 and was pegged as the 3-1 favorite for Saturday’s 142nd running of the Kentucky Derby during Wednesday’s post-position draw in the Aristides Lounge at Churchill Downs.
As expected a full field of 20 was entered for the 1 1/4-mile Derby, not including two relegated to the also-eligible list after not earning enough points to make it into the main body of the race. Post time for the Kentucky Derby, which will be worth $2,391,600 if all 20 start, is 6:34 p.m. and the race will be televised live on NBC during a three-hour broadcast that starts at 4:00 p.m.
Post No. 13 has produced four Derby winners from 69 starts, the last in 2004 with Smarty Jones. The other winners from post No. 13 were Forward Pass in 1968, Pilot in 1947 and Burgoo King in 1932.
Santa Anita Derby winner Exaggerator, who finished second to Nyquist earlier this year in the San Vicente and was fourth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, was pegged as the 8-1 second choice from post No. 11.
Three horses were pegged as the 10-1 co-third choices – Arkansas Derby winner Creator, Louisiana Derby winner Gun Runner and Fountain of Youth winner Mohaymen.
The Kentucky Derby field, with jockey and morning-line odds:
1. Trojan Nation, Aaron Gryder, 50-1
2. Suddenbreakingnews, Luis Quionnez, 20-1
3. Creator, Ricardo Santana Jr., 10-1
4. Mo Tom, Corey Lanerie, 20-1
5. Gun Runner, Florent Geroux, 10-1
6. My Man Sam, Irad Ortiz Jr., 20-1
7. Oscar Nominated, Julien Leparoux, 50-1
8. Lani, Yutaka Take, 30-1
9. Destin, Javier Castellano, 15-1
10. Whitmore, Victor Espinoza, 20-1
11. Exaggerator, Kent Desormeaux, 8-1
12. Tom’s Ready, Brian Hernandez Jr., 30-1
13. Nyquist, Mario Gutierrez, 3-1
14. Mohaymen, Junior Alvarado, 10-1
15. Outwork, John Velazquez, 15-1
16. Shagaf, Joel Rosario, 20-1
17. Mor Spirit, Gary Stevens, 12-1
18. Majesto, Emisael Jaramillo, 30-1
19. Brody’s Cause, Luis Saez, 12-1
20. Danzing Candy, Mike Smith, 15-1
21. Laoban, Cornelio Velasquez
22. Cherry Wine, Robby Albarado